21 Jun 2017

Google Saved My Pants (And Dignity)!

In the frozen fish section of our local Chinese grocery the other day, I saw a nice cut of fish labelled "Escolar Butterfish" about 600 gm in size.

I've never heard of this fish before and decided to get it.
600 gms of potential diarrhea
Fried it up a few days ago for dinner, and just before eating I decided to google "escolar butterfish" as I'd never heard of it before.

Just as well I did.

I found out that it's a beautifully tasty fish, buttery in the mouth (hence it's name) but banned in Italy and Japan.

Went into a bit of a panic, as the Japanese even enjoy the poisonous Fugu fish!

What happens is, partaking of more than 170 gms of this delicious  fish will result in sudden, explosive, uncontrollable orange coloured diarrhea.  Not to mention oily discharges from time to time.

And I was planning to have at least 300 grams of it!

Well, we consumed about 100 gms of it each and all went well.  And so, that fish lasted quite a few days for us.




6 comments:

  1. Better stick to trout, snapper and something familiar. Funny that the Japanese ban something that can cause diarrhoea but not something that can cause death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly (re the Japanese, that is). The butter fish was nice though - melts in the mouth! But I'm not sure if I'll get it again.

      Delete
  2. My girl gets that oily discharge when eating what is called snowfish or Alaskan fish here - it is only because of how oily the fish is. That is why we never buy that anymore. Funny how she is ok with salmon which, I think, is no less oily.

    I dunno butterfish either but at the Italian restaurant here they used that (sometimes) for their fish and chips. Had it once and I loved it! Anytime nicer than the imported frozen dory that they use most every place here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of such problems from fish before. As they say, live and learn!

      Delete
  3. never heard about such problems as in winters we often eat fish of that comes from rivers or farms ,we don't like the oily sea fish due to it's weird taste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of such problems too, baili. We hardly ever get fresh water fish here, unlike you.

      Delete