26 Feb 2020

Monsignor Hawes And His Churches (2)

My first post regarding Monsignor Hawes and his churches is here and more about the man and his work here.

As I've said in that post, I don't generally enjoy visiting churches and temples when on holiday unless they are truly extraordinary.

However, whenever I am in Geraldton (400 km north of Perth, pop 40,000) I never fail to visit this creation of the Monsignor.

Enjoy these snapshots I took of the St Francis Xavier Cathedral.

View as you enter from the front

Looking left towards the organ
The Organ

Looking towards the altar


Glass panels looking into the crypt ...

... where the founding bishop of the Geraldton Diocese, Bishop William Kelly lay

Looking towards the front entrance


KMK, my bell ringing friend, sorry I forgot all about the bells, but luckily a crop of the following picture ...
... can just about make out one in the top of the tower.
Incidentally, in my previous post mentioned at the start of this post, I mentioned another of Monsignor Hawes churches at Yalgoo but did not post a picture.  I have since found a photo I took in 1993 of this church and here is a scan of it.
Cropped version
Much of the land around the church is built up on the last time we visited nearly 4 years ago now,.  It is no longer as desolate looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment