8 Jul 2015

Starving 'em to Death

The day was coldish but sunny, so we took little B out to the front yard for his lunch.  Here he is, finishing up with his banana.
The DIL came a little later for him, and wanted to know what's with all the black plastic in the front yard.
The answer?  I'm starving the winter weeds, which sprouted up with the first rains, depriving them of sunlight and preventing photosynthesis.

Is it effective?

The Before:
and the After:
I just shift the black plastic around every couple of weeks.

But don't that kill the lawn, you ask me.

NO!  Because my lawn is plastic!  Fake grass!  No mowing, no fertilising, no watering!

4 comments:

  1. I like that idea of clearing the weeds through putting simple plant biology theory to a test . Previously I used to source for weed-killer powder and spraying the solution to get rid of the weeds in the garden....of course the weeds shrivelled up and cleared. Your method is simple and much cheaper.....next time I'll use my black trash dustbin plastic bags to cover the weeds.

    We have artificial grass suppliers for lawn-scaping, which sell the grasses on a per sq ft . Many have fitted them to smaller areas, rather than large outdoor gardens - it is definately a labour saving though with little maintenance cost if any - a worthwhile option for me to seriously consider going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are loath to use chemicals and poisons because of my dog, as well as my son's dogs which often visit us. The artificial grass is great - there is a 10 year warranty and mine is nearly 5 years old and still look the same, despite the high UV sunlight of Oz. The grandchildren play on it just like normal grass and they don't seem to find a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh? I can try that too then - can't stand the grass and weeds growing out of the cracks in the cement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure your black plastic is quite thick. Works even better in our hot dry summer, as a lot of heat gets trapped there.

      Delete