11 Aug 2015

Another DIY Furniture Project

It all started when I was cycling home and saw that one of my neighbours had chucked out a magnificent doll's house for garbage collection.

I have mentioned before, I think, that several times a year, the council organises extraordinary garbage collections for household stuff too big to fit into the normal wheelie bins.

This could include stuff like old fridges, washing machines, etc.  You just have to leave your stuff on the verge at the designated week.  Of course, scavengers come round, looking for stuff they can sell or spare parts they can salvage.

Back to the doll's house - it stands chest high and I took it home for granddaughter A.
Then, one day, grandma C went shopping and spotted these:
In her haste to furnish granddaughter's house, she failed to read the bottom "Unfinished Kits / More DIY More Fun".

Guess who ended up with the DIY?
More fun?  Definitely not!  Brought back bad memories of not very successfully trying to build model planes when a schoolboy.

After gluing them together, I realised I should have sandpapered the bits first.  Never mind, granddaughter A won't know the difference.
There was still the upholstery to be done, and I left that to grandma.
In the end granddaughter loved them all.

8 comments:

  1. Arthur, another interesting story! Thought of compiling them into a story book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I must be getting better at telling grandfather's stories! Got a lot of practice with my grandkids.

      Delete
  2. We just had our kerbside collection a couple of weeks ago. We threw out a mattress and a broken chair. Someone picked up the broken chair, but another offloaded some broken furniture; so we gained so to speak. We saw the person driving off, probably from another suburb where the collection date is too far away to wait to throw out. Once we had a stack of asbestos sheets left behind, which the council would not take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you dump the asbestos at the neighbouring suburb's collection day? Over here, my sons come and dump their stuff on my verge.

      Delete
  3. Chapter 1: The house and chairs that Grandpa restored and built.
    Cheer up, Grandpa DIY, it's a small price for the joy of grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never a truer word said, prof.

      Delete
  4. They all look so beautiful!!! Good job! The doll house is very nice too, very pretty - I wonder why they threw it away, not that it's spoilt/damaged or anything. Chest high is quite big - I would use it as a display cabinet or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the doll house is very good looking, just a little bit of damage on one of the sides. I think their child outgrew that toy and they have no further use for it.

      Delete