21 Aug 2019

Finally, A Name for my Tree

Over the years, I have often posted pics of the red tailed black cockatoos which visit this tree of mine and eat the fruit.
I had not known what this tree is called.  Sure, I could have taken a little branch to a nursery and could have found out it's name that way, but lazy me never bothered.

A few months ago I spotted this little Q and A in the gardening pages of the newspaper and finally learnt what the tree is.
I've heard of kaffir limes, but not, till now, a kaffir plum

In the past, I had often wondered if the plum is edible.  These plums start off green and later turn red as they ripen, but the cockatoos come and eat them while still green and nowadays they are all gone before they can turn red.
I'll be lucky now to find a red one for tasting.  Might just have to try a green one!
Right on the top of the tree - spot the plum if you can.

A flash of the red tail as the cockatoo flies off after feasting.

3 comments:

  1. The red tailed black cockatoos still make great pictures but it's good to know that you have a kaffir plum tree in your garden. Let me know how the plums taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweetee, will do as soon as I can beat the cockatoos to it!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:46 pm

    ccccc

    ReplyDelete